Friday, March 22, 2013

Korea School Lunch

Since I teach 5th and 6th grade, I have lunch when my kids do, and we are all starving by lunchtime. Since 5-5 was my last class before lunch today, I asked them what we were having for lunch today. I know the kids look at the menu (food is a very big deal for the kids at my school). They were telling me: sundae! tteokbokki! jjambbong! These are all food that kids LOVE. My co-teacher and I laughed and repeated the question: "What are we eating today? Not what do you want to eat?" We laughed at these poor dreamers. 
And so of course we were surprised when we went down to the cafeteria and found all of these dishes! They had been telling us the truth. Lol. Oops.
The tteokbokki also surprised me. Tteokbokki is usually red and spicy, but today's rice cakes were fried in a soy sauce based sauce. This is how the Korean kings ate tteokbokki, hence the name "court rice cakes." 


Friday, March 22nd, 2013 (clockwise from top left dish):
sundae fried in peanut sauce (순대땅콩강정),
court rice cakes (궁중떡볶음),
kimchi,
Chinese-style vegetable and seafood soup (짬뽕국),
and black rice (흑미밥)

1 comment: