Monday, October 4, 2010

Quotes of the Day

In my 5th grade classes, we are learning -ing verbs. Today was the first part of the lesson, so I had to teach them grammar. (Ewwww.) Native English speakers don't even like learning grammar! It's a big headache to learn and to teach. The first time I lectured on grammar went horribly: All the kids had blank stares and the class was SO quiet. Today's lecture went better though. I had more pictures and interaction. Plus, I had them write the rules down to keep them busy. ^^
Oops! I was trying to blog in-between classes and I forgot the quotes, except for one. I was teaching a class "come--> coming" and one of my examples was "comeing."  I asked them, "Is this right?" I asked them, "Why is it wrong?" They said, "the 'e'~~." I said, "What about the 'e?' One of the students yelled, "trash 'e'!" TRASH e?? puahahha My co-teacher and I had a good laugh in our office about that.
My students were so funny today, but too bad I don't remember what they said. Today was a fun teaching day. One of those days when the lesson I planned is effective, the students are attentive, and I'm smiling a lot!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Hey, whatever helps them learn, right? I'm sure we have our own fair share of weird mnemonics and ways of remembering things. Seems like you're doing a good job teaching them the present progressive (I know native speakers who don't know that you need to "trash the 'e'". :)

    Anyway, I'm sure you know that the American school system doesn't emphasize grammar in their curriculum anymore. Your students are blessed to have such an opportunity. For the sake of having properly-written publications in the future, PLEASE do the world a favor by hammering in English grammar and syntax into your kids' heads. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have precise communication with one another. Too many things get lost in translation in mono-lingual communication enough; how much more in bilingual settings? Anyway, thank you for doing the world a favor. ;)

    I hope you've fully adjusted (but not to the point of not wanting to come back home!), that you're making lots of new friends, building up the community at church, loving your students, learning about the Korean culture (and adopting only the good parts as your own), taking care of yourself physically, learning humbly, maturing more and more into becoming a godly woman, being reminded of the gospel which gives us eternal life, and acknowledging that God is sovereign over all.

    Love you, Johnna~

    Unni

    ReplyDelete