Saturday, September 11, 2010

3 Weeks

It has officially been 3 weeks since I arrived in Korea. It feels like a short time, but I guess it's been a while... I got in trouble from my distant uncle for not calling earlier. After talking to him, it makes me feel like I should contact ALL of my relatives PRONTO. I thought it would be okay to call later because I've had a lot going on with my housing drama, because I started work, and because I'm going to be here for a whole year. But, I have now learned that I should not expect the world to revolve around me. (-.-;) Just because I'm busy doesn't mean that I should leave my relatives or friends hanging. This was a big oops on my part. I've only called my grandma and my distant uncle and I still have to call my aunt and my cousin. I don't even have their phone numbers. -.-;
So after I finally contacted HyungSan samchon, he called me back to ask if I was doing anything tonight. Jessica and I were considering going to the Korvia welcome party in ShinChon, but we decided not to because she wasn't feeling well. I didn't feel up to the long trip. I guess it was a good thing that I decided not to go because HyungSan samchon invited me to his father's birthday dinner. I met my relatives for the first time ever and ate a delicious dinner at a 한정식 restaurant in YongIn. 한정식 is a fine dining dinner course and it's all Korean food! I love this idea because I love Korean food and I don't want foreigners to think that Korean food is all 포장마츠 and Korean BBQ. All of the food was super delicious. I would love to take my foreigner friends there because it is a well-known restaurant, but we went through a montainous road and I don't remember how to get there. I will have to settle on a 한정식 restaurant accessible by bus. (If you know of any good ones, let me know!) I felt at home with samchon's family. It was nice to sit down to a meal and pray over our meal together. Strangely, many of the Koreans I've run into don't go to church. The lady who came to clean my apartment doesn't go to church; the Korean English teachers who I share the office with don't go to church. I'm actually quite shocked that I've run into so few Koreans who go to church. I'm more surprised that none of the Korean teachers whom I work closely with don't attend church. Discovering the unexpected is a good thing though because it brings me out of my bubble!
Another fact about Korea that surprised me is that clubbing and drinking seem okay here. In LA, the stereotype is that everybody at the clubs and bars are party animals, but here, most people in their 20s seem to enjoy it. It's normal and it's okay. Samchon's wife asked me if I had been to the clubs in Hongdae and Itaewon! She told me that those clubs are probably more fun that the ones in YeongTong! Most of my aunts and uncles in California would never ask me a question like that or even encourage it! Wow~ Maybe she just asked me because I'm young? Still, what a shocker.
Another thing: everyone in Korea really do smoke. -.-
I think I will be getting internet at my place this week, so I will be able to contact people more frequently and update my blog more often! woo hoo I'm excited because I need to catch up on Korean dramas.

4 comments:

  1. 친구.
    address.
    please.
    pronto.



    i love you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rude rude rude. LOL
    Part of me feels you really should've gone to the Korvia thing-- where else are you going to meet fellow foreigners?
    Actually, drinking- if not clubbing- is a universal pastime; it's considered the world norm. What else would people do on a fri/sat night? Why do you think there are so many bars everywhere?
    lol, gomo asked me the same thing about clubbing in hongdae. She's the one who taught me the difference between clubs and nightclubs. But yes, I feel like clubbing is a little more common among people in their 30's, and where people go clubbing here to "meet people", alot of people in Korea go for the music-- there's a distinct DJ culture there, like Europe. From what I've heard- Hongdae is college town and ItAewon is very Western.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you call samchon's wife? .. Never really figured that out, you do that and tell me

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont know who the first commenter is .... Yelim? Serom?

    ReplyDelete